We enable students, who would never otherwise get afloat, to reach the heights of sailing
What we do…
- We change lives
- 70% of Sail Students exceeded academic target grades (A level courses).
- 100% of our flagship crew gained places in higher education. Pre-sailing, only 30% were considered university candidates.
- “My school attendance, punctuality and behaviour improved; I maintained my grades so that I wouldn't miss any sailing trips” - S. P., now a budding entrepreneur.
- M. F. won a scholarship with Alex Thomson at Hugo Boss and now works in the sailing industry full-time.
- Students at risk of exclusion and taking the wrong path are no longer at risk.
- We drive diversity
- People of colour are regularly seen on the water
- Students promote sailing to other schools at Yacht Clubs, via You-tube, even TV!
- A shining light and example of what’s possible to others
- Taking 150 students per year on the water, approx 50 to elite levels
- Bringing new talent to get into sailing & the maritime industry
- Working with national bodies: the RYA, Sport England, UKSA
- We deliver sporting excellence
- Greig City Academy is the 1st ever state school to complete the Fastnet – twice! (2017 & 19)
- HRH Princess Anne awarded Greig City Academy the RYA Special Award for Endeavour (2017)
- Young Sailor of the Year finalists (2019) & winner (2017) Yachting Journalist
- Round The Island youngest crew ever
- National level in Etchells, Quarter tonners, ILCA
- 5 Greig City Academy boats competed at Cowes Week (2021)
- Dedicated Girls Programme
1. Raise the funds that Greig City Academy Sailing needs in the coming years and move them to a more sustainable position
2. Support other state schools to create and run high impact sailing programmes.
3. Be national advocates for inclusion & diversity in sailing and sport, working with national sailing bodies.